The New River and the New
River Valley are the backdrop for folk tales, stories
of survival, and original music. They have lent themselves to
both legends and lore, happy times and heartache,
forming and nurturing good-hearted people with rugged character and
simple lives. I hope to be always counted among them.
Radford | Dublin | Roanoke | Christiansburg
Galax | Wytheville | NRV history
Having lived near the New River in all the states that it flows through, I am one of millions who know the powerful influence it exerts. The modern way of life would be improbable in the area, were it not for the electricity it provides from the dams. The many recreational opportunities are some of the region's best, with boating, fishing and whitewater rafting that inject cash into the local economies. Farmers settled this land between the Blue Ridge and the Appalachian mountains long ago, exploiting the rich soil that ages of erosion have provided. Others have lost their possessions or lives to the many floods, yet the river's ecosystem would lose its health and vitality without these seasonal events.(top)
It's been said:
- How odd it is that an "old river" would be named "New River", but there are many theories about . Scientists have varying opinions about the age of the river, anyway.
- The New River is the only or one of the few rivers in the world or Western Hemisphere that flow north or "mostly north". It just ain't so.
Virginia's NRV Activities*
- Hit the river in a canoe or raft with Tangent Outfitters.
- Spend the weekend at beautiful Claytor Lake.
- Go hiking in a National Forest.
- Take a bike ride with the New River Valley Bicycle Association.
- Go shopping in Christiansburg or Roanoke or 'Antiquing' in Wytheville.
- Drive the Blue Ridge Parkway to the Blue Ridge Music Center near Galax.
- Go to the New River Valley Fair.
- Visit one of the area's fine museums or attend a festival!
New River Valley (NRV) News24 Apr 2017 at 11:35pm
- New River Valley experiencing flooding as rain continues - WSLS
24 Apr 2017 at 8:16pm
New River Valley experiencing flooding as rain continues
PULASKI COUNTY, Va. - Flooded roads are causing problems for drivers in the New River Valley as several roads are closed. In Pulaski County's Heritage Park, the area in which you would normally see park benches and trails is now several feet underwater ...
Flooding closes schools, roads throughout the New River ValleyWDBJ7
all 2 news articles »
- Flooding prompts schools, road closures | Montgomery County ... - Roanoke Times
24 Apr 2017 at 7:49am
Flooding prompts schools, road closures | Montgomery County ...
Rain across the Roanoke and New River valleys has led to flooding in parts of the region, hampering roads and closing schools.
and more »
- Hepatitis C cases rise in New River Valley - WDBJ7
30 Mar 2017 at 11:30am
Hepatitis C cases rise in New River Valley
(WDBJ7) The number of reported cases of hepatitis C is on the rise in the New River Valley. The Virginia Department of Health reports more than 1,000 cases of the disease diagnosed since 2012. A public health associate from the Centers for Disease ...
- Got It? Flaunt It... Natural Assets in the New River Valley - WVTF
14 Apr 2017 at 10:50am
Got It? Flaunt It... Natural Assets in the New River Valley
Southwest Virginia is home to world-class outdoor attractions, from its rivers and mountains to biking, hiking and more. Community development groups are looking to capitalize on those natural assets to make the region a destination for eco-tourism.
- Generosity In a Time of Uncertainty - WVTF
24 Apr 2017 at 4:04am
Generosity In a Time of Uncertainty
So this year, for the first time, the foundation is working to leverage the efforts of various organizations in the New River Valley working on the same thing, say, hunger relief, early childhood education. The idea is to help them communicate with ...