The New River and the New
River Valley are the backdrop for folk tales, stories
of survival, and original music. They have lent themselves to
both legends and lore, happy times and heartache,
forming and nurturing good-hearted people with rugged character and
simple lives. I hope to be always counted among them.
Radford | Dublin | Roanoke | Christiansburg
Galax | Wytheville | NRV history
Having lived near the New River in all the states that it flows through, I am one of millions who know the powerful influence it exerts. The modern way of life would be improbable in the area, were it not for the electricity it provides from the dams. The many recreational opportunities are some of the region's best, with boating, fishing and whitewater rafting that inject cash into the local economies. Farmers settled this land between the Blue Ridge and the Appalachian mountains long ago, exploiting the rich soil that ages of erosion have provided. Others have lost their possessions or lives to the many floods, yet the river's ecosystem would lose its health and vitality without these seasonal events.(top)
It's been said:
- How odd it is that an "old river" would be named "New River", but there are many theories about . Scientists have varying opinions about the age of the river, anyway.
- The New River is the only or one of the few rivers in the world or Western Hemisphere that flow north or "mostly north". It just ain't so.
Virginia's NRV Activities*
- Hit the river in a canoe or raft with Tangent Outfitters.
- Spend the weekend at beautiful Claytor Lake.
- Go hiking in a National Forest.
- Take a bike ride with the New River Valley Bicycle Association.
- Go shopping in Christiansburg or Roanoke or 'Antiquing' in Wytheville.
- Drive the Blue Ridge Parkway to the Blue Ridge Music Center near Galax.
- Go to the New River Valley Fair.
- Visit one of the area's fine museums or attend a festival!
New River Valley (NRV) News28 May 2017 at 6:57pm
- Alliance aimed at increasing childcare in the New River Valley - Roanoke Times
28 May 2017 at 5:04am
Alliance aimed at increasing childcare in the New River Valley
The New River Valley-based Alliance of Better Childcare Strategies' (ABCs) aim is to make Gilbert's experience a rarity. ?Really its purpose is to look at the childcare infrastructure and say the fact that we have this really fragile and inadequate ...
- Indivisible New River Valley member to oppose Del. Nick Rush - Roanoke Times
19 May 2017 at 5:41pm
Indivisible New River Valley member to oppose Del. Nick Rush
Then she joined Indivisible New River Valley, and decided to run for office when she realized Rush, R-Christiansburg, would run unopposed for re-election. Ketner is opposed to the proposed Mountain Valley Pipeline, something state lawmakers have little ...
- New CASA Volunteers - NRVN News
26 May 2017 at 12:29am
New CASA Volunteers
CASA of the New River Valley, a program of NRV CARES, welcomed three new Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) volunteers. Clare Fugate and Laura Hayes of Radford, and Debby Quick- Conner of Copper Hill were sworn in as officers of the 27th ...
and more »
- Pulaski police say illegal tattoo artist infected customers with hepatitis - ...
26 May 2017 at 10:33am
Pulaski police say illegal tattoo artist infected customers with hepatitis
?Testing, prevention and treatment are effective measures against hepatitis, which is a significant public health threat in the United States, in Virginia and in the New River Valley,? Dr. Noelle Bissell, director of New River Health District, said in ...
and more »
- Giles man arrested, charged with human trafficking - WSLS
11 May 2017 at 7:34am
Giles man arrested, charged with human trafficking
Gusler is accused of bonding women out of the New River Valley Regional Jail in Pulaski and holding them in his Giles County home against their will. He allegedly threatened the women, telling them that leaving him would revoke their bond and send them ...