The New River and the New
River Valley are the backdrop for folk tales, stories
of survival, and original music. They have lent themselves to
both legends and lore, happy times and heartache,
forming and nurturing good-hearted people with rugged character and
simple lives. I hope to be always counted among them.
Radford | Dublin | Roanoke | Christiansburg
Galax | Wytheville | NRV history
Having lived near the New River in all the states that it flows through, I am one of millions who know the powerful influence it exerts. The modern way of life would be improbable in the area, were it not for the electricity it provides from the dams. The many recreational opportunities are some of the region's best, with boating, fishing and whitewater rafting that inject cash into the local economies. Farmers settled this land between the Blue Ridge and the Appalachian mountains long ago, exploiting the rich soil that ages of erosion have provided. Others have lost their possessions or lives to the many floods, yet the river's ecosystem would lose its health and vitality without these seasonal events.(top)
It's been said:
- How odd it is that an "old river" would be named "New River", but there are many theories about . Scientists have varying opinions about the age of the river, anyway.
- The New River is the only or one of the few rivers in the world or Western Hemisphere that flow north or "mostly north". It just ain't so.
Virginia's NRV Activities*
- Hit the river in a canoe or raft with Tangent Outfitters.
- Spend the weekend at beautiful Claytor Lake.
- Go hiking in a National Forest.
- Take a bike ride with the New River Valley Bicycle Association.
- Go shopping in Christiansburg or Roanoke or 'Antiquing' in Wytheville.
- Drive the Blue Ridge Parkway to the Blue Ridge Music Center near Galax.
- Go to the New River Valley Fair.
- Visit one of the area's fine museums or attend a festival!
New River Valley (NRV) News24 Jul 2017 at 1:28am
- New River Valley Mall seeks to pay less in taxes, alleges errors in assessmen...
22 Jul 2017 at 11:01pm
New River Valley Mall seeks to pay less in taxes, alleges errors in assessment
Located on 58 acres at the busy intersection of North Franklin Street and Peppers Ferry Road, the New River Valley Mall ? like many of its counterparts nationwide ? has struggled to maintain tenants in recent years. Kohl's moved in last year, but ...
- New River Valley bridge to be named for Vietnam War veterans - WDBJ7
14 Jul 2017 at 10:41pm
New River Valley bridge to be named for Vietnam War veterans
Delegate Rush said of the ceremony, "It's going to be a fitting honor for our Vietnam veterans and it's for all our Vietnam veterans and to show this country's appreciation and the New River Valley's appreciation for them." Delegate Rush is asking ...
- LewisGale opens $6 million emergency room in New River Valley - WSLS
29 Jun 2017 at 3:05am
LewisGale opens $6 million emergency room in New River Valley
CHRISTIANSBURG, Va. - LewisGale Hospital Montgomery celebrated the opening of its newly renovated emergency room Wednesday. The renovations cost $6 million and took more than eight months to complete. Some of the facility renovations include ...
Med Beat: LewisGale celebrates two building projectsRoanoke Times (blog)
all 3 news articles »
- Five regions getting together to clean New River - WSLS
29 Jun 2017 at 5:25pm
Five regions getting together to clean New River
No matter the use, the New River Valley Regional Commission wants the water clean as possible for all surrounding communities. "The New River and the streams or rivers within watershed are an economic driver of the region," said Michael Gottfredson, ...
- Pulaski YMCA Farm-to-Table dinner highlights benefits of eating local - WSLS
18 Jul 2017 at 8:29am
Pulaski YMCA Farm-to-Table dinner highlights benefits of eating local
PULASKI, VA - Tuesday night marks the first farm-to-table dinner event for the New River Valley as the Pulaski YMCA teams up with local farms. We're seeing more dinners like this happening across the country, as the push to buy local and eat local ...