The New River and the New
River Valley are the backdrop for folk tales, stories
of survival, and original music. They have lent themselves to
both legends and lore, happy times and heartache,
forming and nurturing good-hearted people with rugged character and
simple lives. I hope to be always counted among them.
Radford | Dublin | Roanoke | Christiansburg
Galax | Wytheville | NRV history
Having lived near the New River in all the states that it flows through, I am one of millions who know the powerful influence it exerts. The modern way of life would be improbable in the area, were it not for the electricity it provides from the dams. The many recreational opportunities are some of the region's best, with boating, fishing and whitewater rafting that inject cash into the local economies. Farmers settled this land between the Blue Ridge and the Appalachian mountains long ago, exploiting the rich soil that ages of erosion have provided. Others have lost their possessions or lives to the many floods, yet the river's ecosystem would lose its health and vitality without these seasonal events.(top)
It's been said:
- How odd it is that an "old river" would be named "New River", but there are many theories about . Scientists have varying opinions about the age of the river, anyway.
- The New River is the only or one of the few rivers in the world or Western Hemisphere that flow north or "mostly north". It just ain't so.
Virginia's NRV Activities*
- Hit the river in a canoe or raft with Tangent Outfitters.
- Spend the weekend at beautiful Claytor Lake.
- Go hiking in a National Forest.
- Take a bike ride with the New River Valley Bicycle Association.
- Go shopping in Christiansburg or Roanoke or 'Antiquing' in Wytheville.
- Drive the Blue Ridge Parkway to the Blue Ridge Music Center near Galax.
- Go to the New River Valley Fair.
- Visit one of the area's fine museums or attend a festival!
New River Valley (NRV) News26 Mar 2017 at 7:54am
- Volunteers help boost marketing for 18 non-profits in New River Valley - WSLS
25 Mar 2017 at 10:38pm
Volunteers help boost marketing for 18 non-profits in New River Valley
BLACKSBURG (WSLS 10) ? More than 50 volunteers used their creative skills to help boost non-profits all over the New River Valley. The 12 hour design and development marathon helped local non-profits market themselves. ?I think it's just exciting to ...
- White Barn headed to New River Valley Mall - Roanoke Times
18 Mar 2017 at 11:02pm
White Barn headed to New River Valley Mall
National retailer White Barn Candle Co. will be joining the New River Valley Mall in Christiansburg, according to a news release from CBL & Associates, the mall's owner. The store already is under construction and will be combined with Bath & Body Works.
- New River Valley businesses brainstorm ways to work together at NRV Livabilit...
2 Mar 2017 at 10:41pm
New River Valley businesses brainstorm ways to work together at NRV Livability In Action Exchange
?That involved over 6,000 people in the New River Valley bringing ideas to the table,? Kevin Byrd of the New River Valley Regional Commission said. ?So here we are three years after that was finished and we're seeing projects come to fruition, and ...
- JCPenney closing Tanglewood Mall, New River Valley Mall locations - WDBJ7
17 Mar 2017 at 3:57pm
JCPenney closing Tanglewood Mall, New River Valley Mall locations
The stores in Tanglewood Mall in Roanoke and New River Mall in Christiansburg are on the chopping block. Michael Dodd works at the Applebee's restaurant next to the JCPenney at Tanglewood and said shoppers constantly come to eat with their ...
- Montgomery County, Blacksburg proposing tax increases - WDBJ7 - WDBJ7
18 Mar 2017 at 11:23am
Montgomery County, Blacksburg proposing tax increases - WDBJ7
Two proposed tax increases are before two boards in the New River Valley.
and more »